Sunday, December 23, 2007

The Ugliest Ornament


Thought I'd tell the story of how our family tradition of having an ornament making party started. My Dad was career Army, and one year the family was transferred back to Virginia from Germany. It was Christmas time, our household goods shipment was late, and that shipment contained all of our holiday decorations! I remember the Army helped us out with some temporary furniture, Army style bunk beds and such. We always had a REAL tree, but now we had nothing to put on the tree. So, my Mom, being a crafty kinda person, had us making decorations. We used beads on straight pins and decorated those satin balls, and we made paper chains for garland. We even used the bottom of egg cartons to make ornaments. Many of these survived through the years, but I think there's only one egg carton ornament left. To most folks, it might be the ugliest ornament on my tree....but to me it holds lots of love and memories, and started a family tradition that is spanning generations.
Merry Christmas!


2 Comments:

At 8:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, I must agree that is the ugliest, but as you said, it is probably the most cherished one also. I know I had one them at one point in time, but for the life of me can't find it. I still have some of the satin ones that were made back then though. Those were made in about 1970 because I was five when we were in Germany. So that little ornament is 37 years old. Held up pretty good I think.

 
At 2:26 PM, Blogger DragonLady said...

I think that's cool. We lost all of our old ones and my Granny's in a fire. Chad has made a couple that he thinks are ugly, but I'll never willingly get rid of them. :-)

Happy New Year!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home